NAPOCOR to fully transition to RE by 2030


National Power Corporation (NAPOCOR) is expediting its plan to transition its operations to renewable energy in off-grid areas of the country.

The goal of Napocor, according to President and CEO Fernando Martin Roxas, is to completely transition all Small Power Utilities Group (SPUG) areas to renewable energy (RE) by the year 2030.

He continued by saying that the switch of the first 25% to renewable energy would start the following year and last roughly two years. Following that, they will seek to transition the remaining 75% to renewable energy; it will then likely take them four years to get close to 100%.

Additionally, Napocor plans to explore other renewable energy technologies, beginning with solar energy and later broadening its options.

Earlier, NAPOCOR said that it is looking into partnerships with the private sector to help expedite the deployment of RE in its service areas. 

Currently, only two percent of SPUG operations are powered by renewable energy. Most off-grid islands rely on Napocor SPUG, which uses diesel for power generation.

To lessen the effect of rising fuel prices on its operations, the energy corporation has been developing a long-term sustainability plan. Advancing the hybridization of SPUG power plants with renewable energy sources is one of the strategies.

In an effort to uphold its commitment to sustainability through the use of renewable energy, Napocor earlier declared that it would stop purchasing diesel-generating units. This choice was made in response to Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla’s order to stop buying new diesel gensets in order to lessen the company’s reliance on fossil fuels.

In the previous year, Napocor won contracts for the installation of 2,600 solar household systems in Masbate, Bohol, Dinagat, Sulu, and Basilan, as well as in Maconacon and Divilacan in Isabela.