Previous reports said that the Philippines will need around 26,000 megawatts (MW) of power to support the numerous infrastructure projects under the Build Build Build program. The country also needs an additional 17, 000 MW of power to support its growing economy.
That means a heaping 43,000 MW is needed in the grid to meet all of these demands.
With that, it’s no brainer that the country needs to build up more power supply to support the growing demand in the next few years.
Many power plant projects are lined up based on the DOE website. Here are the following power projects that are either to undergo test and commissioning or launch commercial operations this 2018.
- Mauban, Quezon
- 500 MW
- Target Test and Commissioning: December 18
- Commercial Operations: December 2019
According to a report by BusinessWorld, the power plant’s generated power will be sold to Meralco under a 20 year power supply agreement (PSA). The company said that the SBPL will be the first plant in the country “to use state-of-the-art supercritical technology,” which operates on higher pressures that will result to higher efficiencies and significant reductions in its emissions.
- Redondo Peninsula Energy
- Sitio Naglatore, Cawag, Subic Bay Freeport Zone
- 600 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: October to December 2018
According to Redondo Peninsula Energy (RPE) Vice President and Head of External Affairs Reynalita Santana, the power plant will help in the energy security of the country, and promote national and local economic development. Apart from this, the project will also provide jobs to its host communities.
- Energy World Corporation
- Pagbilao, Quezon
- 650 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: March 2018, June 2018, September 2018
The Pagbilao gas plant will have its own point-to-point facility in order to connect it to the Luzon grid through the planned Pagbilao substation.
- Therma Visayas Inc.
- Todelo City, Cebu
- 300 MW
- Target Test and Commissioning: September 2017
- Target Commercial Operations: (Unit 1) December 2017, (Unit 2) March 2018
Almost 90 percent complete, the Therma Visayas project is seen to provide more additional baseload power to support the growth of Cebu and Visayas.
- Palm Concepcion Power Corp.
- Concepcion, Iloilo
- 135 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: March 2018
- Target Commercial Operations: December 2018
With the first unit fired up in 2016, this power plant supplies power to the Visayas Grid. In a report by the Philippine Star, PCPC is a critical addition to power generation in Panay, and Cebu due to growing power requirements in Iloilo, Aklan, Negros, and Cebu.
- Biliran Geothermal Incorporated
- Biliran, Biliran
- 50 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: September 2018
- Target Commercial Operations: September 2018 (Unit 1)
The geothermal field where the Biliran Geothermal project stands, is one of the largest greenfield geothermal projects in the country with a potential power of 350 MW. The project is seen to provide stable and reliable power supply in the island province of Biliran and the entire Eastern Visayas (Region 8).
- GN Power Kauswagan Ltd. Co.
- Lanao del Norte
- 600 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: December 2017
- Target Commercial Operations: March 2018
Firing up the GN Power Kauswagan plant would mean Mindanao expanding its power capacity for baseload requirements, Romeo Montenegro, director for Investment Promotion, International Relations and Public Affairs of Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) said.
- Sarangani Energy Corporation
- Brgy. Kamanga Maasim, Sarangani
- 100 MW
- Target test and Commissioning: December 2018
- Target Commercial Operations: January 2019
The power plant was seen to benefit its host community as around 1,500 workers for the construction phase. Phase 2 of this project is seen to serve an additional three million residents in Mindanao.
BISCOM COGENERATION POWER PLANT PROJECT
- BISCOM, Inc.
- Binalbagan, Negros Occidental
- 48 MW
- Target Test and Commissioning: December 2018
BAIS BAGASSE-FIRED CO-GENERATION POWER PLANT PROJECT
- Central Azucarera Don Pedro
- Bais City, Negros Occidental
- 25 MW
- Target test and commissioning: December 2018
A full list of the power plant projects in the Philippines can be found at the Department of Energy website through this link.