The Manila Electric Company (Meralco) is preparing its systems and personnel to immediately attend to power outages that may occur due to the incoming Typhoon Tisoy.
“As a 24–hour service company, we are committed to respond to these types of emergency. Our crews are on standby to attend to any trouble that may affect our facilities in areas that might be hit by the typhoon,” Meralco Public Information Office Head Joe Zaldarriaga was quoted in a statement.
He added that the power distribution firm has provided necessary mitigating measures for the possible impact of the typhoon.
“Meralco, for instance, has consistently requested billboard owners and operators to temporarily roll their billboards up to prevent these structures from being toppled by the strong winds,” Zaldarriaga said.
In case of flooding, Meralco released the following safety tips:
- Ensure that the main electrical power switch or circuit breaker is off. Be sure to be dry at all times while being in contact with any electrical facility;
- Unplug appliances from wall sockets. Turn off permanently connected equipment and unscrew all light bulbs if possible;
- Remove mud and dirt from service equipment or main circuit breaker/fuse and its enclosure using rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes;
- Make sure that all electrical wires, connectors and other wiring devices are completely dry, and;
- When all electrical wires and accessories have dried and are clean, the wiring system of all appliances must be checked by a licensed electrician. Do not turn on flood-damaged electrical appliances.
Zaldarriaga also advised to keep all lines of communication open and ready.