The Manila Electric Company (MERALCO) has further extended its no-disconnection policy until May 14 in light of the continued implementation of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in the NCR-plus bubble, which includes the power giant’s franchise area.
MERALCO FVP and Chief Commercial Officer Ferdinand Geluz said that the company will continue to be very considerate during this period and vowed to assist its customers in need of help with their respective concerns.
“Given the current situation and the extended MECQ, we continue to take into consideration the challenges our customers are facing amid these difficult times. We hope this additional extension will help ease the burden of our customers, while providing the necessary relief and additional time for them to settle their bills,” Geluz said in a statement.
The power giant reiterated that it will continue vital operations such as meter reading, following the order of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and will also continue to work round the clock to serve its customers.
“MERALCO business operations, including meter reading and bill delivery activities, will continue throughout the MECQ. Our continued operations will ensure that actual consumption for the month will be billed accordingly,” Geluz further said.
The ERC, in an advisory last year, encouraged customers who have the ability to pay to settle their bills within the original due date “to help manage the cash flow in the energy supply chain and ensure the continuous supply of electricity.”
MERALCO suspended its disconnection activities upon the reimposition of the ECQ in the NCR-plus bubble in late March and has since then, extended the no-disconnection policy every time the government extended the lockdowns.