MERALCO, Terra Solar enter negotiations for 850MW RE supply
- May 17, 2022
- 0
We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.
The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ...
Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.
Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.
The Manila Electric Company (MERALCO) has begun negotiations with Terra Solar Philippines for the supply of 850 megawatts (MW) of renewable energy (RE) supply after the second round of the competitive selection process (CSP) failed.
MERALCO regulatory management office head Atty. Jose Ronald Valles said that the power giant has begun direct negotiations with the “original proponent” and intends to sign the power supply agreement (PSA) as soon as possible.
Valles added that the PSA will be part of MERALCO’s compliance with the Department of Energy’s Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPS).
Under the RPS, companies are required to source a minimum percentage of their energy portfolio from RE sources.
Terra Solar, a joint venture between Leandro Leviste’s Solar Philippines and Enrique Razon’s Prime Infrastructure Capital Inc., offered an unsolicited proposal of Php6.08 per kilowatt headline rate and levelized cost of electricity to MERALCO during the first round of bidding under the CSP.
The offer, which will deliver 600MW of power supply by February 26, 2026 and 250MW beginning February 26, 2027, will last for 20 years. The supply will be coming from Terra Solar’s proposed power plants in Batangas, Cavite, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, and Zambales.
SMC Global Power Holdings and SunAsia Energy, Inc both expressed interest to bid, but both did not push through, leading to the CSP’s failure.
MERALCO’s third-party bids and awards committee said that the distribution company can enter into direct negotiation considering that there are no outstanding disputes during the first and second rounds.
Solar Philippines president and CEO Leandro Leviste confirmed the negotiation. The company entered an asset-for-share swap with subsidiary Solar Philippines Nueva Ecija Corporation
MERALCO also opened other CSPs for 1,100 MW worth of baseload and mid-merit power requirements.