SIPCOR complies with ERC shutdown order, studies next steps
- August 29, 2025
- 0
S.I. Power Corp. (SIPCOR) has confirmed receiving the Energy Regulatory Commission’s (ERC) decision revoking its authority to operate in Siquijor and said it is weighing legal options.
ERC has directed SIPCOR to cease operations following reports of prolonged outages in Negros Occidental. The Department of Energy (DOE) confirmed that the order takes effect immediately.
In a statement on August 29, the company said it is reviewing the ERC directive and will pursue all legal options. “We assure our stakeholders and the public of our commitment to address the matter responsibly and resolve this concern as soon as possible,” SIPCOR said.
The ERC order effectively shut down SIPCOR’s generation facilities after months of rolling brownouts that crippled Siquijor’s economy, disrupted schools and hospitals, and forced businesses, including the tourism sector, to operate under prolonged outages.
ERC cited multiple violations and breaches of its Power Supply Agreements with the Siquijor Island Electric Cooperative (PROSIELCO).
DOE Secretary Sharon Garin said the shutdown was in line with the President’s directive to normalize electricity on the island. “Malinaw po ang utos ng Pangulo. Hindi katanggap-tanggap ang idinudulot na kawalan sa ekonomiya at pinsala sa kabuhayan ng kapabayaang ito,” she said, stressing that SIPCOR had been given enough time to improve but continued to fail.
A DOE-NEA audit showed residents endured 568 interruptions—or an average of 31 outages per month—with some brownouts stretching up to 11 hours daily. The situation led to a state of calamity declaration in June.
NEA Administrator Antonio Mariano Almeda warned, “This is a warning to all off-grid suppliers of energy in the islands that if indeed you cannot perform, the government can take over in less than 48 hours.”
To stabilize power, PROSIELCO signed emergency supply agreements with TotalPower Inc., allowing three new plants to deliver 15.75 MW—well above Siquijor’s 9.5 MW peak demand.
DOE assured consumers that power rates will remain unchanged under the new arrangements, with subsidies continuing through the Universal Charge for Missionary Electrification.
Share your thoughts—should regulators take a tougher stance on other islands with problematic suppliers?
Follow Power Philippines on Facebook and LinkedIn or join our Viber community to stay up to date on the latest energy news.